Level Two – Motivational Training

The attitudes and behaviors taught to children at Level 2, as in Level 1, are meant to give them the tools to progress and succeed in your program –and beyond. 

With partner training being the theme of Level 2, the instructor has many opportunities to discuss concepts such as cooperation, team building and respect for self and others. These following motivational concepts aren’t requirements for testing, but ideas that are reviewed on a daily or weekly basis.

Motivational Education List

The Olympic Theory

Only a small fraction (about 3%) of any sport’s athletes have the time, talent, coaching and resources to compete in the Olympic Games.  It is the thinking, habits and behavior of this small and successful group that provides the example we’d want to model for success.  But the other 97% are the majority, so the lesson is: pay less attention to the majority — and look for the behaviors and attitudes of the top 3%.

It’s Not WHAT You Do, it’s HOW You Do it.

What does it matter if you’re practicing a side kick or a side block?  Develop the idea that it’s not what you do, but how you do something that makes the difference. Develop an attitude that you’re going to do everything with a certain level of excellence.

You Teach Yourself

You teach yourself  –if you pay attention to the results you get when you practice. The idea of being “self-analytical” is an important one to teach children.  If they know they’re trying to “teach themselves” when they practice, they’ll look closer at the results they get.

To supplement a student’s martial art education, a Student Checklist is used to facilitate instructors in teaching all the particulars of being a member of the school.