The exam is video based. You MUST have clear audio and video.
You shoot the segments and we will send you instructions on how to deliver them to us.
1. The rank would be from the Martial Arts Teachers’ Association, not a style.
2. If you do not spar, that’s OK. Just let me know and I’ll adjust.
Areas of Evaluation
- Sparring (2nd and 3rd degrees only)
- Form not kata (Skills instead of routines)
Long Distance Exam–Video Submission (Audio is critical. I have to hear you clearly.)
1. 4 2-minute rounds of 2 students sparring and you monitor and coach them. This should be in class with fellow students watching.
2. Three examples of you teaching intermediate skills to class.
3. Three examples of you teaching advanced skills to class.
4. Explain to a beginners class how to create power in a strike.
5. Deliver a Life Lesson to a class in your words.
6. In front of class, explain, “How to assess your sparring opponent.”
7. In front of class, explain, "What should you focus on each sparring session?"
8. 3 examples of you watching different students hitting the heavy bag and coaching in one-minute rounds.
Sparring (Testing for 2nd or 3rd degree and only if it's part of your training. Many schools no longer spar, which is not a problem.)
1. Five examples of you watching different students spar while you coach. Sit class down and bring up two fighters at a time for a one-minute round. The class is watching as well.
2. You sparring your toughest guys. Five 2-minute rounds with 30-second rest. Rotate the fighters so each is fresh.
1. 2-minutes punching and kicking the heavy bag
2. Target kicking - Round kicks, Side kick shield etc… Five different kicks, 10 - each side
3. Target punching - 1-2-3-4 drill 2-minutes